Hey everyone! So it's obviously been far too long since my last post! Lots of family issues and moving. I would like to please ask everyone to keep Brent and his family in your prayers, due to his father passing away. That was the roughest part of this past month, but Brent seems to be doing alright, but its never easy losing someone you're close too. Especially so unexpectedly.
Also.. While we're on the subject of Brent, I am sooo happy to announce to you that Brent and I and ENGAGED! It was a Happy (early) Valentine's Day present to me. Pics of the ring will be posted as soon as I get it back. It's being re-sized and I should have it back on Valentine's day. :)
Now... because of moving and all.. most of my baking supplies have been packed away for the last month. Now that we're starting (trying!) to get settled into the new place, I'm pulling it all back out! FINALLY! And since it's just in time for Valentine's day, I came up with something very special for you to make for that sweetie in your life! Nothing say's "I love you" more something handmade from the heart. <3 And (in my opinion) the most romantic food I can think of is chocolate covered strawberries. So.. here is the run down on this super sexy and delicious dessert. :)
- Soft, moist chocolate sponge cake
- Whipped filling, made with fresh strawberries and heavy cream.
- Super simple, milk chocolate ganache that is perfectly smooth and delicious.
Doesn't that sound perfect? It is. I hope you guys enjoy this, and I hope your sweetie enjoys this, as much as me and my fiance did. :D
Chocolate Covered Strawberry Heart Cake
| |Chocolate Sponge Cake
adapted from hereIngredients:
8 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 325
2. Line 2- 8 inch square pans with wax paper. Set aside.
3. Put egg whites, cream of tartar, and salt in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer until foamy.
4. Gradually add the sugar and beat until you have stiff peaks.
5. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
6. In a small bowl mix together the flour and cocoa. Add it to your egg and sugar mix and USE A SPATULA TO FOLD INTO MIX.
7. Spread evenly into the 2 prepared pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes, rotating halfway through bake time. (while baking you can make your filling )
8. As soon as you pull it from the oven, immediately take it out of the pans too cool.
9. When completely cooled, use a heart shaped cookie cutter cut an even number of hearts from the cake.
Fresh Whipped Strawberry Filling
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
1 Tbl cornstarch
1 Tbl sugar
1 cup heavy cream
another 1 Tbl sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1. In a sauce pan, over medium heat, add the strawberries, cornstarch, and 1 Tbl sugar.
2. Use a fork to mash the ingredients together.
3. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside to completely cool.
4. In a mixing bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the cream, 1 Tbl sugar, and vanilla until stiff peaks from.
5. Add cooked strawberries to cream and use a spatula to fold it all together. Set aside.
1 cup heavy cream
9 oz. (2/3 of a 12 oz bag) of chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
In a sauce pan over medium heat bring the cream to a simmer, whisking frequently to keep from scorching. When the cream simmers, add the chocolate chips and whisk together until smooth and melted. Let simmer for 1 minute, whisking frequently. Remove from heat and mix in vanilla. Let sit for 5 minutes before using.
Take your delicious, chocolate hearts and make a sandwich with your strawberry filling. Top with your smooth chocolate ganache. Garnish with a chocolate covered strawberry, and enjoy a romantic evening with your sweetie. :) Or you know, if you happen to be single this Valentine's day that's ok too! Don't you think you deserve to show yourself a little love? Come on! Enjoy and indulge. <3
If you haven't already please go and 'like' my facebook page
! It's a great way to keep with with new recipes, posts, and giveaways! You can also follow me on pinterest
and pin all of my recipes to your boards to try later.
If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to comment below, or contact me through email
or my facebook page
! I look forward to hearing from you!
Hello to all! I hope everyone had a lovely and exciting Independence Day yesterday! I spent the day with some wonderful friends. Unfourtantely where I live there was a 'burn ban' because of the insanely hot and dry weather. So there was very minimal fireworks. However we had some great food! Pork tenderloin, bratwurst, mac and cheese (that my honey made, and it was soooooo good!), green beans, corn on the cob, and quite a bit of other things! And of course I brought some dessert. I wanted something simple that wouldn't take long to do... So I made these adorable patriotic strawberries that I found on Pinterest. They were delicious and easy!
1. Melt white chocolate
2. Dip strawberry in chocolate, but you still want to see the red on top!
3. Shake off excess chocolate, and while chocolate is still wet, dip the end into blue sugar.
That's it! Super easy and everyone was really impressed!
Then my best friend had made some star shaped sugar cookies and brought them over to help decorate. Basically we colored some frosting in red and blue, then drizzled the leftover white chocolate from the strawberries. Doesn't get any easier than that. :)
Now, as promised in the title, Jenni's Baking Blog is going to have a special guest blogger this weekend! I am going out of town this weekend to meet Brent's family. Yes, I am nervous. That seems to be the first thing anyone asks me. lol Considering they live a good 6 or so hours away, we are going there for the entire weekend. So wish me luck!
As for my special guest, please keep an eye on the blog this weekend for a post from my friend Kenzie Sweeney! I'm anxious to see what she makes for you!
h4As a personal favor I am asking everyone to please keep my family in their prayers! My grandpa Lloyd is very ill and is currently in ICU. Tomorrow my mother and her sisters have to make a very hard decision. I won't go into details on here, but we could really use all the prayers and support we can get! Thank you everyone!
Remember to keep an eye on the blog for Kenzie's post this weekend!